[HECnet] PDXVAX - 40MB Memory - VAXstation 4000/VLC?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Oct 19 16:54:05 PDT 2009

Brian Hechinger wrote:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 05:37:39PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
But all the pieces are documented, and the documents are available on the internet...
I wonder how hard/impossible it would be to implement this entirely in an
FPGA of some sort.   That would be a LOT of work, but extremely cool.

Start with the basic PDP-11/70 in that case. Once you have that down, extending it to an 11/74 should be less of a problem.

I know of several attempts in the past to do PDP-11s in FPGA. I don't know if any of them have reached a working stage, but they have also been aiming a bit lower. Going for 11/40 type machines.

But it should all be doable, I think. Just given enough time and energy. :-)