[HECnet] PDXVAX - 40MB Memory - VAXstation 4000/VLC?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Oct 19 16:45:27 PDT 2009

Bob Armstrong wrote:
Why am I starting to think something like X.500 makes more sense at this
point?
  There's also the format used once up on a time by the UUCP mapping project
- we have basically the same problem that they did.   	http://www.uucp.org/uumap/README
They're long gone now, but there are probably still lots of tools around for
processing data in this format.
  Come to think of it, didn't they already have something to produce a
geographic map?

That format works, but it seems so cryptic.
What's wrong with plain text tags, followed by information

Such as (just as an example):

======
HOST: MIM
HARDWARE: E11 (PDP-11/74)
OS: RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6
LOCATION: UPPSALA, SWEDEN
MANAGER: Johnny Billquist
EMAIL: bqt at update.uu.se
EMAIL: MIM::BILLQUIST
======

Keep the format simple, and very relaxed. Let software figure out if they can do anything with it or not.
Uppercase, lowercase, free flowing text. Just keep the tags standard to start with. Maybe we can have some tags with a more formalized value, if needed, such as a POS: value with LAT/LONG if people want to add that?

I've seldom understood why people are striving for more and more complex solutions to a simple information problem. :-)