[HECnet] SMTP gateways to HECnet?

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Tue Oct 20 16:49:48 PDT 2009

I could probably do this with NetBSD as a front end to deal with spam and
then Multinet as the actual gateway.

  I use PMAS for SPAM filtering my mail, but when I was doing it before I
explicitly opted out all the DECnet mail from PMAS processing.   The thing
is, if you're going to start SPAM filtering for people's DECnet mail, then
they need a way to get to their quarantined messages, configure their
white/black lists, etc.   That's not really a problem (PMAS has a web
interface for just this purpose and I'm sure all the other SPAM filters do
too) but then people need a browser and a TCP/IP interface to receive their
DECnet mail.   At some point it all becomes kind of silly.

  That's why I opted out the DECnet mail from SPAM filtering.   Hopefully
people don't publish their DECnet addresses on web pages or mailing lists.
Like I said, the gateway was hardly ever used so SPAM never became a
problem.

How much of a load is Multinet on an Alpha (Jensen)?

  Not much, I would imagine.   A Jensen is the slowest Alpha (or does that
honor go to the Multia?   Can't remember...) but still, Multinet runs just
fine on a VAX - even the slowest Alpha ought to be blazingly fast in
comparison :-)

  BTW, do you have any extra Jensen sheet metal parts?   I've got a beautiful
AXP2000 in the garage, but it's missing its side panel.   Gets pretty dusty
inside.

Bob