[HECnet] LATCP confusion

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Oct 5 00:33:43 PDT 2009

So, in short, you want anyone who physically connects to your decserver, via a physical serial cable on one port, to be able to get a PPP session running on VMS?

I think that should be doable. First of all, you need to set up the service on VMS, so that it is visible over LAT. Call it CHIMPYNET or anything else you want. Define which ports are associated with that service, and that's it from the LAT point of view.
Then you need a PPP server to be listening on that port on the VMS machine, so that when someone connects, PPP traffic starts running.

Hmm, that means that you don't want LOGINOUT to start. Not sure how you do that. But I'm sure someone who knows VMS can tell.

Can't you request PPP to start running on your own terminal once you've logged in, by the way? If so, why not do it like that?
You could even have a special PPP account, which started the service automatically on login.

Someone else will have to help fill in the details here, since my VMS fu isn't really up to this in my head. (I know how to do this under RSX, but I also know that you can't totally accomplish this under RSX, since you can't define multiple services under RSX, and you probably want LAT service for more things than this.)

The way I'd do it in RSX, which I think should work in VMS as well, would be to do it the other way, with reverse LAT.

Basically, you do it like this:

On your DECserver, define a service. Associate one or several ports with that service (probably one for this case). Make sure the port on the DECserver is correctly set up so that it can be opened from a host. On VMS, define a port as an outgoing (reverse LAT) port, for which you tell which service it should connect to (the service just defined in the DECserver). Set up PPP to be running on that port the whole time.
PPP will now start trying to talk with anything connected to that port on the DECserver. No need to do any kind of connections or logins. Traffic will be going on the whole time.

The same kind of deal you would be doing for a printer connected via a DECserver.

	Johnny

Sampsa Laine wrote:
Well I did say I was confused from the beginning :)
I want to basically provide a PPP service on a serial port. This serial port happens to be on the DECserver, so I figured I would make a LAT service called CHIMPYNET on CHIMPY that provides the PPP service. Then anyone connected to the DECserver could just say CONNECT CHIMPYNET and be connected to the PPP service.
Is this doable?
Sampsa