[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library - Distributed?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 18 18:08:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Steve Davidson wrote:

Of the two (2), only the VS2000 has the formatter built-in.   The formatter
on the VS2000 will format drives compatible with the RQDX3, maybe even the
RQDX2 and/or RQDX1.   I seem to remember that "test 70" does the trick.

-Steve

Not only that, but I've been able to successfully format a Maxtor XT 2190 as
an RD54 using my VS2000, in spite of the fact the VS2000 is broken.   My
VS2000 has bad RAM, and maybe other issues, so I know it doesn't need to be
fully working to do the format.

The Customer diagnostics tape for a standard MVII can't do the format, but a
FE Diag tape can.   Has anyone ever imaged a FE tape?

Zane