[HECnet] Modest proposal: Media library - Distributed?

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Fri Sep 18 10:17:01 PDT 2009

Very good point!
I agree.

Unfortunately I have the same situation as G  ran and my hardware is waiting for a glorious future. But the winter is coming and (running) computers provide heat. ;-)

Kari

G  ran   hling wrote:
A great idea indeed, but my thoughts start flying immediately...
Wouldn't it be smart to think of some "distributed storage"-set-up, so that several of us could contribute some content and some storage space, that all shuold appear to be one "heritage" of software when in comes to viewing/searching?
I realize that implementing this would require some more design than it does to just put "some files" on one server with a shared volume, but it would also give a much more flexible system that doesn't risk to outgrow some kind one's budget (disk-space, storage-space, power, heat, internet line, ...).
One further advantage is that if I'd store a library of that obscure system/version/... that I'm operating, deeply admiring, and happily sharing, I'd be most likely to keep my personal files up to date, but the copy I sent for someone else to publish last summer, well, I even might forget I ever sent it, so that copy will most likely not get properly updated....
Just my humble thoughts, would you say this could be implemented "decently simple"?
/G  ran
PS:I'd happily contribute myself, even though I haven't yet had the time to bring any proper system on-line into the HECnet. I've got some decent HW standing, waiting, in the basement of a house I'm about to move to, whenever renovation comes a bit further and I get some network connected there... Living and working goes before my Hobbyist DECnet, even though I work with DECnet on PDP-11's!
Sampsa Laine wrote:
Guys,

I thought it might be useful to set up a library of VMS media kits (and maybe RSX / RSTS etc as well) - basically images of VMS install CDs, layered products etc, all in one convenient location.

I'm willing to donate some space on RHESUS for this use, say 100 GB?

I've got a copy of the VAX and Alpha software product libraries lying around as well as a couple of versions of VMS for Alpha and VAX as well as IA64 - any contributions would be welcome of course.

Anyone else interested in this?

Sampsa
.