[HECnet] PDP-11/70 on FPGA

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Aug 11 10:34:14 PDT 2010

Paul Koning wrote:
I think F4 don't need FPP, but might also be restricted to integer only if you don't have an FPP.
I think it simply worked fully even without FPP (or it might not ever use it even if one exists).   F4 started in RT-11 which was aimed at small machines.

Hmm. I should probably check some documentation, but I think it can use
one if wanted.

That Basic+ can live without it don't surprise me, nor that it can use it if it do exist.

Having said that, the following do needs FPP, as far as I know:
Basic+2
No, definitely not.   BP2 was used as the compiler for all RSTS utilities as pre-compiled by DEC (though B+ could be used by customers if desired).

Sigh. My memory once more plays tricks with me. BP2 can use FPP or not,
depending on which version of the library you install.

MAIL-11
MAIL-11 was written in Basic-Plus (or BP2) so it would work on non-FPP machines.   That assumes you're not counting the earlier one that was used only internally, written in TECO and distributed by some field office clown who was fired for it...

Yes. Inferred by the above.
*Sigh*
Sorry for the misinformation. My brain is playing tricks on me.

I didn't know there was ever one written in TECO. Yikes... :-)
There was the one written in a mix of FORTRAN and BASIC, which was
distributed through DECUS. That should also be possible to use without
FPP then, I guess...