[HECnet] PDP-11/70 on FPGA

Paul Koning paul_koning at dell.com
Tue Aug 10 22:28:19 PDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Zane H. Healy wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 06:50:32AM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:

Yes, it should run most software just fine.

Excellent.
I'd personally be the most interested in RT-11 and RSTS/E.   From the sound
of things, RT-11 at least should work.

RT-11 will probably be the best use of this in it's current form.
I think RSTS/E can run reasonably well without an FPP, but I'm sure Paul will correct me if I'm wrong.

RSTS doesn't much care if an FPP is present or not.   Basic uses it if available, which makes float calculations significantly faster.

Lots of layered products require the FPP though.

I remember being told that Fortran-4-Plus requires FPP, while everything else either doesn't care or can be configured either way.

Then again, I must admit I don't know all that much about this.   I've only rarely used FP myself...

	paul