[HECnet] Bringing Email In-House

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Aug 5 23:47:33 PDT 2010

At 3:46 PM +0100 8/5/10, Mark Wickens wrote:
Collective Wisdom,

I'd like to bring email from my current remote hosted IMAP server
in-house. Can anyone provide guidance on solutions? I'd like access from
standard email clients but would also like to be able to ssh into a
local box and read mail via a character terminal.

I have an OpenVMS and Linux server available to serve.

Thanks, Mark.

I used OpenVMS for about 10 years at home for an email server.   I started with a AlphaStation 200 4/233 and ended with an XP1000/667.

I did run into one problem where some worthless SOB spoofed my domain for spamming and I got a *LOT* of bounces.   The resulting DOS attack took the box down for a couple days.   I think it was an AlphaStation 600/433au at the time.

The only reason I'm not currently running the system is that it costs to much to run a XP1000/667 with 6 10k SCSI drives 24x7, and since buying a house, I've not sorted out cooling.   I've been thinking about bringing an AlphaStation 200 4/233 back online for this and a couple other things that I need VMS for.   It is driving me crazy not having my own VMS system running.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com                           | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |