[HECnet] Bringing Email In-House

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 20:37:55 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 15:23 -0400, Joe Ferraro wrote:
As much as I can't stand Big Brother -- eh hem -- Google... if you're
not talking a hobbyist solution, its just downright difficult to beat
their imap / pop3 / web email solution -- especially when blasted SPAM
is considered.

If you have trouble with the fact that google aggressively analyzes,
stores and sells your data trends -- you might want to look at `exim`
for linux.

I've been reading some right horror stories about people who have had
their email accounts removed unconditionally due to suspected spamming
(through no fault of their own, and this is people who've paid for a
service) with no comeback and in some cases no way to get a response,
this has included websites, so I'd rather keep the solution in-house.

I'd get perverse pleasure from using allin1, but it's my understanding
that I would need a tru64 box running permanently to run the mailbus to
smtp gateway, and I'd rather not do that.

I'm happy to give a VMS solution a go - I use messagebunker, so should
be safe in the knowledge that everything is backed up.

Mark