[HECnet] DEC Legacy Event & HECNet possibilities

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Feb 20 15:03:56 PST 2010

Mark Wickens wrote:
Hi guys,
I've now secured an internet connection for the DEC Legacy event in April and wanted to pick your collective brains about what might be interesting to hecnet hobbyists who won't be able to attend the event if we can get some of the machines that will be in attendance connected up to hecnet on the day.
A couple of my machines will be there - probably the VAX 4000/90 and either the DEC 3000/600 or the ZX6000 itanium workstation - I'm presuming I'll need to supply an updated IP address for Jonny to patch me in given that my bridge will be on a different IP address? Also, would it be possible for those attendees who've not been connected previously to get connected up on the day, given that they won't have to worry about the bridge setup?
Would anyone fancy participating in a coding competition? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi, Mark.

Sounds like fun. Too bad I'm not there. :-)
I see no real problems with hooking this up to HECnet. Technically it is easy, as long as we have a defined endpoint to hook up to.
The rest is mostly a question of making sure that any machines getting online are configured with an acceptable DECnet address, or else it might become confusion and bad karma.

Coding competitions? Doing what? DECnet programs?
If you accept someone doing something from an RSX, sure. I might be game. ;-)
I'm writing a totally new mail client and server right now. At the moment it will only talk local and DECnet, but in the longer run, it will also be able to talk TCP/IP, once I get down and fix a few things in my TCP/IP for RSX.

That will also create a totally new gateway between DECnet and IP, in which I have control of all the code, and knows how it works and can fix things... :-)
I hate not having the sources of things. When I find problems, things always gets so much more complicated...