[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jul 5 11:07:49 PDT 2010

Yeah, but then I need to process all packets myself to sort out the ones I'm interested in, set the interface up in promiscous mode, and hack around... That's why the pcap library exist. So that I don't have to do all that. :-)

	Johnny

John Wilson wrote:
I should know better than to open my big yap but:   pcap isn't the only way to
do raw packet I/O on Linux;   you can also use socket(PF_PACKET) and not need
any special libraries.   Maybe a bit of conditionalized code in bridge.c would
make it easier to build on Linux w/o breaking it on other Unices?   (Yes I'd
be happy to contribute code -- I've been working on my own mopd replacement
anyway partly because of how hard mopd is to build on Slackware Linux.)
John Wilson
D Bit