[HECnet] Area 44 - update

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Mon Jul 12 20:23:30 PDT 2010

Hi Kari, a long time ago (summer of '79) I participated on a student
exchange program set up between the technical universities of Poznan (PL)
and Eindhoven (NL). I was the chemist in the dutch team of 4 and did some
work on a fertilizer factory north of Poznan. We lived in a student
dormitory and met people from all over Europe, including a sizeable group of
Finnish students. They introduced us to the sauna, and since warm water had
been turned of (it was summer) that was marvelous news to us. They also came
up with more interesting concepts, like drinking wodka and trying to learn
Polish. I remember mentioning that 7 cases was rather difficult and
(obviously) the Fins dropped off their chairs laughing (that's where ROTFL
comes from). They tried to explain Finnish grammar and I am sure that gave
me the headache, not the wodka :-)