[HECnet] Node update

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jul 7 12:38:32 PDT 2010

The layout of areas?
Each area itself can be located anywhere in correspondance to other areas. Traffic within one area is also pretty much free to work any way it see fit. If you have a large area with several routers and different circuits, where you can observe different traffic properties across them, it might pay to set the costs of the different circuits accordingly.
But for most of the time, the internet is just fast enough that you don't have to worry about any tweaking at all.

My main concern with the bridge is that it can/will grow so big being just one segment, that we'll have more broadcast traffic going on than we are comfortable with, along with the fact that DECnet have limits on how many machines and routers are allowed on a single segment.

But we'll probably not have problem with this in a while anyway, so I'm not overly worried.

	Johnny

Joe Ferraro wrote:
Currently in the Louisville, KY area.
What makes the most sense regarding the layout of areas (is that even something to consider overall?!?!)? Obviously, right now with the ethernet bridging it seems to make sense... but I'm quite unsure of the failure mode of DECnet.
Just wondering if any planning was necessary / made sense overall.
Take care,
Joe