[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Paul Koning Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Wed Jun 30 16:12:04 PDT 2010

Well, level 1 routers gives you pretty much the same isolation as
areas.
Unless you consider the relative size of the level 1 routing messages
problematic burden compared to level 2 routing messages. However, I'm
not even sure you can make the system not transmit level 1 routing
messages on all interfaces, meaning they will go out anyway, even if
you
only have another area at the other end of the line.

I think if you have a point to point out of area link you won't see L1
routing messages, but you probably will see them on an Ethernet.

The routing message size isn't an issue in Phase IV because the data can
be sent in pieces.   That was another important change from Phase III,
which always sends the route data for all nodes (up to 255 of them)
whether there is a change or not.   255 nodes just barely fits into a
standard DDCMP packet, but 1023 nodes would not.   (Nor in a standard
Ethernet frame, for that matter.)   And it's wasteful to send data that
hasn't changed.   So Phase IV has a way to send routing data for selected
nodes.

	paul