[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Tue Jun 29 17:27:37 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:10:31PM -0700, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Should I just use one area?   What's the best way to set that up?

Areas in DECnet are not really meant to be associated with physical
location, but rather with organizational. So keep it within one area.

Ok, sounds good to me.

For physically different locations, you might want to use level 1
routers, though. But as the internet nowadays is so fast, using just a
bridge, and pretend that it's all one ethernet segment also works just
fine.

My upstream blows (as well as latency in general) so I'd like to avoid
putting any more traffic across it than is absolutely nessesary.

I suppose it's not a huge deal at this point since the SIMH instance at
the colo will be the only thing running most likely for a little while.

That being said, how should I set it up?   L1?   L2?   Does anyone want to
use me as a hub?

Also, is there a list of what areas are already in use so I can pick an
unused one?

Thanks!!

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of

The definitive list is maintained at MIM::US:[DECNET]DECNET.TXT.   I'll send
you a copy outside of this list.

-Steve