[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Tue Jun 29 09:58:29 PDT 2010

Johnny, the original DECnet manuals showed pictures of area routers that
were interconnected by WAN links. Each site had its own area number. In fact
the name "area routing" implies clearly that the concept was meant to set up
DECnet networks that were geographically separated.
I ran a fairly large DECnet environment 20 years ago with >20 PDP-11's, >80
VAX systems >600 pc's and several alpha's, plus a few unix systems that ran
DECnet too (in those days DECnet was the multiplatform protocol of choice).
I seprataed each factory in its own DECnet area. DEC Holland got midly
interested in the design because they wondered whether the level 2 routing
overhead wouldn't hurt network performance. Which it didn't :-)
One reason for separating systems in different areas was that rebooting the
pc's would generate so many DECnet state up and down messages that PDP-11's
and the older VAX systems choked in their console output.

Hans