[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Mon Jun 28 15:56:42 PDT 2010

Marc Chametzky wrote:
DECnet-Plus isn't
able to connect, or at least reliably connect to all OS's that can
potentially be on HECnet. I forget what all OS's I was having
issues
with, I know one was RSTS/E v10.1, but I want to say it also
included
VAX/VMS. Once I *upgraded* my Alpha running OpenVMS to DECnet Phase
IV,
all these issues went away. These were things as simple as SET
HOST.

It's probably that DECnet-Plus (Phase V) cannot speak with DECnet
Phase
III (such as on RSTS/E and TOPS-10/20). That's my guess anyway.

Phase V should be able to communicate with VAX/VMS since that's
Phase
IV, which is the gold standard of DECnet, IMHO.
=20
TOPS-20 DECnet is phase IV, and I believe that the latest version of
DECnet for RSTS/E is also phase IV.

Correct, starting with RSTS/E V9.3 (DECnet/E 4.0).   Older versions (V7.0
and up) are Phase III.   RT-11 is Phase III as far as I know.

	paul

Yes, RT-11 IS phase III.   Don't get me started.

-Steve