[HECnet] Attaching to hecnet

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Mon Jun 28 12:39:56 PDT 2010

On 28.6.2010 12:02, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Hi.

H Vlems wrote:
DECnet phase IV nodes are backwards compatible with phase III.

Yes. But the question here was if phase V will interoperate with phase
III. I don't know the answer to that one, but on the other hand, I don't
think anyone around is running phase III anyway.

There are no restrictions in functionality between phase IV nodes and
phase
V as seen by the unpriviledged user. Area routing may be an issue on
Alpha,
and of course ncl is more of a pain to remember than ncp ;-)

True, as far as that goes.
However, I am not sure that a phase V node can operate as a phase IV
area router.

A DECnet-plus node can operate as an area router both in a Phase IV network and in a Phase V network.

To be familiar with NCL you need to build a "mindset" where you have a clear view of all the manageable entities in Phase V. Then you need to understand the syntax used in NCL. After that it is quite straightforward.
As NCL is such a powerful management language, it was chosen to be the management language of the DECss7 product as well.

Someone else pointed out that although DEC claimed that alphas could not
be area routers, that information is incorrect, and you can just tell an
Alpha VMS phase IV node to be an area router, if you want to.

However, DECnet+ is phase V, and all bets are off. :-)

There was some versions of DECnet-plus for Alpha which didn't support area routing, but modern versions do.

And yes, not only are the NCL commands more difficult to remember
(atleast for me), the node name management is way more difficult as
well. Do anyone know how you copy a nodename database from another
machine with DECnet+?

If the DECdns is not used, the local namespace (=nodename database) from one node can be exported to a file and the file transferred to another node and then the namespace is imported with decnet_register, which is the utility used for managing the local namespace.

Two questions:
1-May I use area 44?

Sure.

May I use the area 16?

2-Is there a short guide to set up DECnet over IP to connect to HECnet?

Not that I know of. Maybe Mark Wickens have something on hecnet.eu?
My page (http://www.update.uu.se/~bqt/hecnet.html) only have information
about the bridge.

Johnny

Regards,