[HECnet] New Digital Unix node TIGER on HECnet

Tim Sneddon tim.sneddon at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 7 01:30:40 PDT 2010

On 6/06/2010 11:11 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
At 9:34 PM +0800 6/5/10, Tim Sneddon wrote:
On 5/06/2010 4:35 PM, Mark Wickens wrote:
RE: VAXstation 4000/VLC - when I tried to do development on the box or
display remote decterms it was pretty slow, even with 24MB. Also, you
must have different/newer fans in yours - mine make a hell of a racket!

I will agree with being slow :-) I find that it's not too bad though.
Unfortunately I don't have the space to get the 4000/90 up and running.
I too had noisy fans, but after a healthy dose of contact cleaner and
oil they are almost silent. Maybe they just need a good clean?

I wonder if that's what mine needs.

It probably is.   The stuff coming out of mine was scary!

                                                                      I'm trying to remember if the PS was
totally dead, or if it was howling to the point I couldn't run it in the
dining room (actually that wouldn't be a problem now that it lives in
the garage).

I've been wondering if the fans are replaceable.

I was able to find the fans in the parts catalogue of the local
electronics store.   The only thing is, the fans sit in a small
rubber sleeve that holds then in the power supply.   Don't throw
away the sleeve!   The fans slip right out.

Tim.