[HECnet] Announcement: We've rolled out a retro UUCP network, UUHEC.net

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 02:56:35 PDT 2010

I'd love to get involved in a UUCP over IP network...!

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:
Whilst not strictly HECnet related, I figured as this audience is likely to be full of people who enjoy tinkering with various bits of retro tech stuff and so I thought I'd let you know that we've rolled out a small UUCP "network" between myself, Steve and Fred.

It runs over TCP links between our sites, mainly running Taylor UUCP, however one of my hosts runs a 1992 bit of BBS software called Waffle 1.65.

Let me know if anyone wants to join in, it's a giggle, really*. I'll even route real internet mail for interested parties** - we have registered the UUHEC.net domain for this purpose.

Sampsa

* Seriously, check out the crazy Waffle BBS software by logging into CHIMPY as the user B4BBS and then log on as WAFFLE at B4BBS. It's default messages keep cracking me up, random Zippy the Pinhead quotes all over the place.

** Within reason.