[HECnet] SIMH VAX memory weirdness

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Nov 29 03:30:26 PST 2010

On 11/29/10 12:26, Sampsa Laine wrote:

As for AUTOGEN, I recently upgrade CHIMPY from 256 MB to 1 GB and it just recognized the RAM automagically? Am I missing something?

What is Chimpy?
I upgraded SIGGE from 256M to 1.25G a few weeks ago, and I had to run an AUTOGEN before the memory was recognized by the system (as shown by SHOW MEMORY inside VMS). The hardware saw the memory immediately, but VMS did not want to have anything to do with it before the autogen.

Gregg: I'm running the emulator on a Dell laptop, Core 2 Duo processory, Ubuntu Desktop + Oracle VirtualBox + Ubuntu Server. As for the Alpha emu, it's not exactly scarce: you can just google for PersonalAlpha and get a Windows version that's kinda restricted but functional.

So Chimpy is an emulator? Emulating which model?

	Johnny

No CHIMPY is a physical AlphaServer 800, and VMS on it recognised the memory upgrade automagically.

Doh!
Actually, double DOH!

So we are talking past each other. An Alpha is not a VAX. Different rules apply.