[HECnet] SIMH VAX memory weirdness

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 28 17:03:00 PST 2010

On 2010-11-28 21:20, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I just increased the memory on one of my SIMH VAX VM's to 512 MB from 64 MB - the system boots fine but SHOW MEMORY (under OpenVMS 7.3-1) still reports 64 MB.

Do I need to tell the VMS installation about the new RAM somehow? How much RAM does 7.3-1 (VAX) support anyway?

7.3-1 ??? I thought the last version of VMS for VAXen was 7.3

As for memory, VMS (on VAX) supports up to (in theory atleast) 16G of physical memory. However, that requires the extended memory mode PTEs, which only came with NVAX, so no luck with simh.

The "older" layout supports a max of 1G, but I think all architectures machines split that into 512M of RAM and 512M for I/O space.

Oh, and when you add memory, you need to run an AUTOGEN afterwards, to change a bunch of parameters to the new hardware config (whould be obvious ;-) ).