[HECnet] Running E11 inside a virtual system

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 21:09:40 PDT 2010

Hello!
November question time. I have here a virtual system, running Windows
Server 2003, naturally its biggest problem is that of its also running
on top of an OS from the same firm as the virtual system frame, but
that's besides the point. (We can trade those insults off list later.)

Now the question, "Has anyone managed to get the latest release of E11
running that way with, any of the operating systems who support
Ethernet?", and then following that, "What suggestions are available
for making it available via a dynamically assigned name and IP address
to the network?".

My ISP seems to want to deliver an IP address to me via PPPoE for
normal commercial DSL, I once asked about a static IP address, but the
service hid behind some outlandish reason at the time that it wasn't
possible. I suspect its because the ISP, then Covad behind AT&T, never
considered such a method of delivery for its commercial, read
household, customers, and hence went ahead with what it believed to be
an easy method. Then in March I migrated from that method of having a
ISP to work with to just Covad. Same other e-mail addresses naturally.

To supply the occasional access method for the systems, for when I was
away from here, and needed to do so, I went ahead and used the
services of DDNS to make a hostname available. I chose the vendor
http://www.dyndns.com/ simply because it would be an easy
configuration step, then, or so I thought.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com