[HECnet] gcc for pdp11

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Mon Oct 25 01:12:21 PDT 2010

Paul Koning

On Oct 24, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:

Paul Koning
=20
Does anyone here use gcc for the pdp11?
=20
I've been doing some work on it to clean it up.   For one thing, it =
now =3D
builds, which certainly is a useful start... :-)
=20
I've been playing with the idea of writing an 82586 driver (UGH!) for =
=3D
the Pro for RSTS, and seeing how disgustingly sick that chip is, =
doing =3D
it from scratch, or even seriously transforming existing assembly =3D
language drivers, is an unpleasant notion.   On the other hand, doing =
it =3D
in C (more precisely, borrowing from, say, the NetBSD driver, changed =
as =3D
needed) seems more palatable.
=20
I *think* gcc is close to being able to handle that job.   So I'll =3D
probably be using it for that purpose.   Am I the only user of that =3D
compiler or are there others?
=20
	paul
=20
=20
=20
Paul,
=20
Will "gcc" build for the VAX (or Alpha) so it can be used as a cross =
compiler
for the 11's on those platforms?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to both, but I don't know from =
personal experience.

	paul

If you wish to push it to STARS:: we can sure find out soon enough!

-Steve