[HECnet] gcc for pdp11

Paul Koning paul_koning at dell.com
Sat Oct 23 01:45:53 PDT 2010

Does anyone here use gcc for the pdp11?

I've been doing some work on it to clean it up.   For one thing, it now builds, which certainly is a useful start... :-)

I've been playing with the idea of writing an 82586 driver (UGH!) for the Pro for RSTS, and seeing how disgustingly sick that chip is, doing it from scratch, or even seriously transforming existing assembly language drivers, is an unpleasant notion.   On the other hand, doing it in C (more precisely, borrowing from, say, the NetBSD driver, changed as needed) seems more palatable.

I *think* gcc is close to being able to handle that job.   So I'll probably be using it for that purpose.   Am I the only user of that compiler or are there others?

	paul