[HECnet] Suggestions for LAT.

Steve Davidson davidson at declab.net
Sun Oct 17 04:16:48 PDT 2010

Johnny Billquist

On 2010-10-17 04:01, Johnny Billquist wrote:

So here is a new suggestion for the bridge which is "hubbed" around Update.

0 Publicly available systems
1 Update
2 BQT

Let me know, and I'll happily assign LAT groups for others as well.

Small correction to that list:

0	Public systems
1	Update
2	Update
3	BQT
4	BQT

                                                                    ||   on a psychedelic trip

Johnny,

The way I do it around here is use group 0 for public access.   It is the
default group anyway.   I use group 19, which is also my DECnet area for my
private use.   This allows us to have 63 private areas if we map to DECnet area
numbers.   Areas from 64 to 255 can be special case.   I use 64 whe I want to
combine my group with someone else.

I would suggest that
group 0 be public
group 1 through 63 be private based on DECnet area # (self managed)
groups 64-255 be managed (and reserved) (each area could have 4 such #s)

Because I am already using group 64 I am reserving it.   I make it available to
others when it makes sense for me to "share" as it were.   Reserved groups
should be by invitation only because as you point out the list does get
cluttered.

The use of passwords is a great idea for the DECservers we have in HECnet.
Some of mine have it, some do not - personal choice.

-Steve