[HECnet] hecnet.eu website down

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Oct 8 20:47:31 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-05 23:59, Mark Wickens wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that we had a circuit breaker trip here today and
when I restarted the VAXstation 4000/90 the Seagate ST39173N system disk
no longer spins up. The controller recognises the drive, and an LED on
the drive circuit board flashes once on power up and when it is queried
by the SCSI controller, but at no point does the drive spin up.

Ouch! Always unpleasant...
Try to perhaps shake it a bit if it is stuck.

Does anyone have any tips? I thought I had a duplicate drive I could try
swapping the controller board with, but I've yet to locate it. It might
be stuck heads, but given the circumstances it is more likely to be
something that has gone bang.

Stuck heads, or sometimes stuck spindle. Shaking might help. But you might be right in that it's something more serious...

This box hasn't been backed up in a while. I may have a working version
of the website on a backup, but there will be a few features missing if
the restore works.

Even worse.

In the meantime the website will be down.

Oh and also, if you haven't done that backup in a while, NOW IS THE TIME
TO DO IT!!!

You mean something like this?

.set /host
Host=PONDUS RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6   BL87
.que /li
** PRINT QUEUES **
PRINT   (STOPPED) => TT30
FTSQUE => FTSDEQ
TT26     (STOPPED) => TT26
TT30     (STOPPED) => TT30
** BATCH QUEUES **
BATCH   => BAP0 BAP1
  [7,14]       DST             ENTRY:878                             BLOCKED UNTIL 31-OCT-10 03:00
                      1 DU0:[DST]SETWINTER.BAT;1
BACKUP => BAP0 BAP1
  [1,54]       BACKUP       ENTRY:913                             BLOCKED UNTIL 13-OCT-10 09:00
                      1 DU0:[BACKUP]BACKUP.BAT;1
.sha dis
            UMB             Devices         I/O     Errors       Status
        055330         DU0:,*DU1:       0.         0.           Load_Share, Catchup complete
.

(Backup job is run every week, and disk is mirrored...)