[HECnet] DECnet performance problems (on TOPS-10)

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:05:46 PDT 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:54:12 +0000, you wrote:

The paramters you posted are aal defaults except for the node name aand
address, right?

Yes. Anyway I tried also with some modified parameters we use on other
nodes, namely executor block size and buffer size, but nothing changed. The
"problem" is that most of those parameters are "embedded" into the monitor,
so to change them the monitor has to be rebuilt every time. Non particularly
diffucult, but quite time-consuming. Moreover they have names like %RTBSZ
and %DLBSZ, and is not always so easy to discover which NCP/DECnet parameter
corresponds to which internal monitor variable... :)

- have a look at the exec, line and circuit counters

In my previous message I forgot to mention that all the error-related
counters are at zero, so I thought not to paste them here.

- examine the host IP characteristics and (if present) those of the winpcap
package installed on the host

Specifically, what characteristics are you thinking about? I have no idea
about whatever I could check at host and pcap (on Linux) level.

Thanks for your time, :)
G.