[HECnet] DECUS/freeware archive

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Wed Aug 24 19:08:56 PDT 2011

Xenophobia is not the same as lack of experience. The VMS development team in the USA is extinct. The guys in India are first rate software engineers (they ought to be to find their way in the VMS codebase) but their perspective on how the os should behave and what they observe is markedly different. Read the discussion in comp.os.vms on changes in the DIRECTORY command.
The Indian team made changes that are probably more in line with newer commands but broke old code that had been stable for decades.
The bottomline is that I expect my alphas to stay on 8.3, probably as long as the VAXes will remain on 7.3.
I have no IA64 systems (luckily, reading Sampsas problems :-) so no ideas there other than that IA64/VMS 8.3 is the production quality release at this point in time.

Verzonden vanaf mijn draadloze BlackBerry  -toestel