[HECnet] Can we hook this up to a VAX or something?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Aug 24 00:26:41 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-23 19:41, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
The console RX02 on the 780 wasn't "visible" to VMS. You'd need. MC SYSGEN CONNECT CONSOLE to make that happen.

Right. Also, the console floppy on the 11/780 didn't sit on the "normal" Unibus. I don't know if the FE had an integrated floppy controller, but it might have been a small Qbus in there as well.

I used a PDP-11/40 with RX02's but never actually seen such an interface on a VAX unibus.

They were already going out of fashion when VAXen began to spread.

Very useful to transfer data between systems; this was before ethernet was common, let alone affordable.
An alternative was the RL02. Which became the load device for the PDP-11/23 console in the 8600/8650.

Well, it's not a 11/23, but a T11 (the 11/23 uses the F11 chip). But yes, the 86x0 uses an RL02 for the FE. Much more convenient, since it can hold all of the system, and all of the diagnostics on one pack. With the 11/78x, you had to have a set of floppies, and running diagnostics means swapping floppies a lot.

Also, the 86x0 have a Qbus, with a RLV12 controller in there. :-) And this disk is also not normally available from VMS, unless you connect it with SYSGEN.

I can't remember whether the RK05 was supported by VMS?

I don't think it was. Neither was the RK06/RK07, but I believe it shipped with a driver for those.

	Johnny

Hans