[HECnet] Circuit costs - Area 19 revised

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Fri Dec 30 18:57:02 PST 2011

Greg,

The issue you will run into is that in the case of the bridge or even Multinet the other end has no way of knowing that your IP address has changed.   A bit of DCL trickery is used on SG1:: to deal with this for Multinet.   As a result, SG1:: supports dynamic-DNS (remote) links.   It does a "MULTINET NSLOOKUP" of the remote periodically (this is configurable), compares it to what it has in a private database, and "fixes" it if it has to.   After that it reestablishes the link.   Each dynamic IP address MUST use a dynamic-DNS provider or SG1:: will not be able to do the lookup.

-Steve