[HECnet] I'm Back!!

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Dec 30 02:37:51 PST 2011

On 2011-12-23 15.51, Brian Hechinger wrote:
RIFTER$ mcr ncp show known circuits

[...]

Nice...

The last time I was joined to HECnet was 11 years ago!!

Long time no see. :-)

That got me thinking about that time. Things were much different back
then. Johnny's bridge program didn't bridge ethernet at that time. It
bridged serial!

Gha! I was trying to remember who might have been around back then. So that was you... I think that makes you the first place outside my own experimentation that was connected to HECnet. :-)

Serial ports was my first solution. It seemed like a very easy thing to do, and it worked just fine. The only "problem" was that DECnet over asynch serial ports are slow, since they are limited to 9600 bps.
I might have run with that for at most a year before I wrote the bridge program to replace it.
I also needed physical serial ports all over the place. :-)