[HECnet] DCL Help needed

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 22:11:46 PST 2011

On 30/12/11 06:08, John H. Reinhardt wrote:
On 12/29/11 8:50 PM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On Dec 29, 2011, at 16:52, "H Vlems"<hvlems at zonnet.nl>   wrote:

.eqs. compares two strings for an exact match. It is case sensitive and thus
surprisingly strict for an OS that seems to do uppercase only...
Good to know. Being a unix guy I probably would have assumed case sensitivity. :)

What is regex??
Regular Expressions. A pain in the ass to learn but totally worth it.

Circuit names for ethernet device are DDD-N
DDCMP (serial lines), CI and DSSI devices are DD-N-M
Where D is a letter and N and M are digits.
Ok, so I see a trend here. All circuit names have a dash in them. That's how I was going to filter them out but I think I found a better way.

Thanks!!

-brian

With the common dash, check out the f$element( ) function in DCL. Very handy.

Apologies if someone already mentioned it. I jsut scanned through about 100 HECnet messages and I'm blurry.

  John H. Reinhardt

My first retrochallenge entry http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/retro/documentation.html included processing DEC/ANSI escaped output from ALLIN1 and producing HTML using TPU (Text Processing Utility). If things get hairy this is a very VMS way of doing text processing.

Regards, Mark.