[HECnet] ROOSTA routing problem

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 26 06:52:11 PST 2011

On 2011-12-26 15.45, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Yes, technically nothing will complain. But the network will be broken.

    Right.   So Chrissie can't make ROOSTA an area router, because area 6
already has one.

Well, you can have two area routers. Nothing wrong with that. You just have to make sure that the rules for connections are obeyed.

    AFAIK, she has two options -

    a) Move ROOSTA and all her nodes to a new area, and make ROOSTA an area
router.   Of course, we collectively just told her to move from area 3 to 6,
so she might be grumpy about that.

    b) Connect ROOSTA to HECnet via STAR69.   Drop the LEGATO link (as you
said, it's pointless).

c) Have ROOSTA continue to be an area router, and make sure ROOSTA have a link to STAR69, and then any other areas we care to.

I suspect we have a broken setup somewhere...

    Yes...

Nothing is, however, ever easy... :-)