[HECnet] ROOSTA routing problem

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 26 06:39:38 PST 2011

On 2011-12-26 15.36, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Unless ROOSTA is an area router, that link makes no sense.

  I won't argue with you about that...   I can't fix it from here, though.

  But does DECnet allow two different area routers, with different subsets of
reachable nodes, for the same area??

Yes, technically nothing will complain. But the network will be broken.

The problem/issue is that all area routers must have direct connections with all other area routers, with no intermediate level 1 routers, since that will cause the area routers to have a broken view of how the universe looks. Area routers share information with all other area routers, using special area routing messages that are sent along the links between the area routers. A level 1 router will not propagate that information, but just discard it, as it is unknown junk to a level 1 router.

I suspect we have a broken setup somewhere...