[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Links defined - area 13

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Dec 22 03:30:11 PST 2011

On 2011-12-22 11:45, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
My comments on booting a decserver in combination with the ncp database are limited to VMS.
And fairly old versions of VMS. Of course RSX responds faster since it doesn't need/use that overhead.

I would not be surprised if this have stayed the same in newer versions. I would guess it is more tied to Phase IV VMS. I would not be surprised if lancp was a result of the fallout from phase V.
Yes, RSX have much less overhead than VMS, along with much less architecture overhead of PDP-11 compared to a VAX or Alpha. Can't really tell what the overhead of Itanium is, but I bet it is substantial. Running at GHz speed of course hides that pretty well... :-)

When Sampsa tried to boot his DS200 its load request messages showed up on my LAN. Nothing arrived in
time for the DS200 apparently. My uplink is fairly slow so that could be the cause.

The extra overhead of the uplink could be an issue, but not necessarily. We're talking about a single packet or two in each direction before the boot machine is decided. But I know that on a local ethernet segment, RSX machines normally boots the DECservers, even with VAX 4000 machines on the same segment.

That aside, a question Johnny. VMS and ncp will only service a load host request if the mac
address of the target host is registered and thus known. Does RSX service the request provided
it can locate the requested filename?

Yes, and no. :-)
The MOP boot request itself can hold a requested boot image file name. The request also contains the type of device. RSX will only handle boot requests from devices that it approves of. This is really silly, but the MOP boot server in RSX have a list of devices it accepts requests from. If the request pass that list, the server looks in the default directory for the file requested, and will server.
If you have registered the address in the node name database, you have also give a file name in that database. If no file name is in the boot request, it will use the file name in the database. If both names exist, I'm not sure which one it will use.

So, even if I have the boot image for a VXT1200, for instance, RSX will not boot it. The reason is, I think, that RSX supports both secondary and tertiary boot images, and there are some possibly odd things going on with secondary boot images (I really should check more things up here, but I think that for booting when both secondary and tertiary image is needed, the secondary image is calculated from the device type and fed, and then the tertiary image comes, which the secondary boot can handle). But almost nothing use those anyway, and for tertiary boot images, the device type is pretty much irrelevant. Oh well, another thing I'd like to fix one of these days...

It was not my intention to support a dedicated area, 13 or whichever. My point was
that decservers be kept in local areas. Given the way VMS, ultrix-32 and Tru64 respond that makes sense

I also think that for times when people do want to set up DECservers, or whatever, in their databases, it would make more sense to place them in the same area they have the rest of the stuff.
I have not checked in Tru64, but I didn't think Ultrix made such a connection. But thinking of it now, I have probably only ran lat, and never dnet on Ultrix...

	Johnny