[HECnet] Multinet Tunnel Links defined

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Dec 21 13:21:19 PST 2011

My annual power bill runs from December until November. So last year is just
closed and billed. In 2010 I kept system powered off when not in use but
plugged into the mains. That year we used 7200 kWhr. In 2011 unused systems
were also unplugged. We used 5100 kWhr. At .25 cents per kWhr that's a huge
difference.

I have found that systems such as the Alphaserver 1000A use a lot of power
when they are plugged in but not switched on. I went to swap out a power supply
from such a machine and found it very warm, almost hot (the PSU fan does not
run when they are "off").

I imagine this also applies to the Alphaserver 800, ES40 and other systems that
support the RMC facility for remote power management. In fact anything with
a silly little front panel on/off switch should probably be plugged out when
not in use.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.
BTP::PETER