[HECnet] Ultrix downloads from SLAVE...

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 11:20:37 PST 2011

On 08/12/11 18:01, Pinoccio wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On
Behalf Of Mark Wickens
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:48 PM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: [HECnet] Ultrix downloads from SLAVE...

Hi guys,

Is anyone attempting to download the Ultrix ISOs from SLAVE?
If so, I'll save you a lot of time and pain by burning a CDROM and
posting it.

Regards, Mark.
I do!
I am almost finished and there was no pain at all :-)
Thank you!

OK, no problems, thanks for the response.

It does raise a question at this end however.

I have a remote use who logs in via telnet.

Whilst I can happily limit the bandwidth that SLAVE uses overall at my router to stop the upstream connection saturating and causing therefore the downstream connection to grind to a halt, this also causes the connection to slow for my remote user.

Can anyone suggest any techniques that I might use to prioritise telnet connections over HTTP connections? Is this something that solely comes down to the responsibility of a competent router, or does VMS provide any facilities?

I suppose one way would be to configure a proxy and route http traffic via the proxy, or alternatively could I install two network cards in the ALPHA and serve the internet through one connection and telnet through the other (which would allow me to apply different upload/download restrictions based on IP address at the router. Could this same principle be applied to the HECnet connection?

On a similar subject (sorry if this is becoming boring now!) I asked on comp.os.vms about flakey DE500 network cards. Am I right in thinking that DE602s are the way to go to stabilise the connection between two local cluster nodes?

It would be nice to reach some kind of sensible balance, where everyone is happy!

Regards, Mark.