[HECnet] MS Kermit DECNET stack? How?

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:48:29 PST 2011

Hi,

It has been a while since I set anything like this up and my memory is
a little hazy.

There was a driver library that provided a common interface to the
network cards, driven through interrupts. It provided access to the
data in the ethernet frames and not much more. I seemed to remember
having it working happily with NSCA Telnet and FTP for MS DOS. I can
not remember if I got it to work with MS Kermit. The driver software
was pretty simple to configure from memory, give it the I/O address,
hardware interrupt of the network card, software interrupt to use for
calling applications as arguments. Put the whole line in autoexec.bat
and forget about it.

A quick read of MS Kermit at
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html seems to indicate that MS
Kermit has it's own protocol stacks (which I seem to remember). I
would expect that MS Kermit contains enough of a LAT stack as well,
and that MS Kermit would be looking for a similar, interrupt driven,
interface.

At one point I may have had a backup copy of the driver software but I
am not going to have access to my MS DOS backups for a couple of
weeks.

[Local Area Transport for MS Kermit.]

Simon