[HECnet] DECnet et al

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Sun Jul 17 22:30:08 PDT 2011

There is ANF10 code for PDP11 that run on 40's or 34's.
Ah. I thought the DN92 was somehow related to ANF10.
Did ever anything but TOPS-10 support ANF10?
(Whatever code ran on the FE RSX system don't count... :) )

There are three DEC things that run on the FE PDP11:

          rsx20f	is the stuff that controls the KL and loads microcode
          		and acts as the connection for local terminal links.
		(remember the dte is capable of 50kbit/s total...)
          mcb	rsx based decnet phase 3 frontend, while the host was
          		phase 4.. abortion.. that's why we did the DDP
          		devices..
          anf10	Frontend code, don't use a OS, has a small kernel by
          		itself.

You could not mix this, so your minimum was 2 PDP11's and one is in
the main CPU.

Then there is MinITS for the frontend of MC KL10A and DL10

The PDP11 code can talk DDCMP over ASYNC or SYNC interfaces, DQ11,
DMR11, DMC11. So you can do Wan things. In Sweden we had DEC10's in
Stockholm and Linkoping networked with a 9.6K sync link.

The DEC2020 talks DDCP with a DUP11 and a KMC (I think it was KMC,
unibus card with microdode that basically did DDCMP.)

Yeah, I seem to remember that the KMC was the card with DDCMP on board.

Anf-10 has link-state routing like OSPF/ISIS but only one area.

I was very ignorant at the time I played with this stuff. Exactly what
could you do over ANF10? I remember connecting between machines
(interactive terminal sessions), but were there file transfer protocols,
or network based filesystems? Other features?

It depends..

    There where sockets/services, but different nodes supports
    different things. A shell is a socket/service only on the
    mainframes and the X29/X25 gateway.

    	          MCR         shell
	          TSK         process-process (file access is on top of this)
	          LPT         line printer
	          CDR         card reader
	          CDP         card punch
	          TTY         terminal line (very advanced "Telnet")
	          DDP         tunnel used to carry IP and DECnet to front-end
	          PLT         plotter
	          RDX         remote data entry terminal
in netdev.mac...

TITLE     NETCDR - NETWORK CARD READER ROUTINES - V001
TITLE     NETDDP - NETWORK "DDCMP" DEVICE SERVICE ROUTINES - V001
TITLE     NETLPT - NETWORK LINE PRINTER ROUTINES - V001
TITLE     NETMCR - NETWORK MONITOR CONTROL ROUTINES   VERSION 001
TITLE     NETPLT - NETWORK PLOTTER ROUTINES - V001
TITLE     NETRDX - REMOTE DATA ENTRY SERVICE ROUTINE TO SUPPORT MCS10 - V001
TITLE     NETTSK - TASK TO TASK COMMUNICATION SERVICE ROUTINE - V001
TITLE     NETVTM - VIRTUAL TERMINAL ROUTINES VERSION 001

-P