[HECnet] DECnet et al

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sun Jul 17 21:52:18 PDT 2011

I understand the rationale for phase 5 and years ago when I could remember ncl it was great: lots of information, good for troubleshooting.
But today, 25 years later, I find myself predominantly installing NCP and not ncl.
Phase 5 takes a long time to start up on a VAXstation 3100 class machine (sub 10 VUPS) and is better handled on a VAXstation 4000 90A. Once it runs phase 5 performs on par with phase 4.

What I like best about phase 4 is the SHOW NET(/OLD) command because it tells me the nodes that are up and running. Very useful in a production environment.
I   feel that if phase 5 would have had a similar command that it may have been a lot more popular. Why isn't it there ?
Verzonden vanaf mijn draadloze BlackBerry  -toestel