[HECnet] DECnet et al

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 17 19:27:38 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-17 20.22, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
A bridge (hw) maintains a list of mac addresses it sees at each port. A bridge will never forward a packet with a destination address on that list.
The bridge ( program) learns which mac addresses live behibd what port and thus knows what traffic to forward and what not. Broadcst, multicast traffic is always forwarded.
The only difference between a DEBET and the program is that the program ignores all other protocols

This is essentially what a switch does as well.
I think in the old DEC nomenclature, a bridge only connected two segments, so it becomes a very binary "the address is either on this segment, or on the other side". A switch can, and should, be more clever, since it should either not forward the packet at all, if the destination is on the same port as the packet in on, or just forward it to the specific port where the destination exists, if it is on another port. Unknown destinations needs to be treated the same as multicast, in that it needs to be sent to all ports.

I might have called my program a switch as well, except for other reasons I thought a bridge was a better name for it. Also, in the beginning, it did not keep any destination cache around. Improvements along the way. :-)

	Johnny

Verzonden vanaf mijn draadloze BlackBerry  -toestel