[HECnet] DECnet et al

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 17 19:21:57 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-17 20.15, Bob Armstrong wrote:
But HECnet as a whole is not connected to this segment...

    I thought the majority of it was...     There are a few people, like me, who
are using Multinet but only a few cases.   I thought pretty much everything
was bridged.

I don't have any exact numbers on the number of people connected one way or another. My gut feeling is that a majority are connected to the bridge, if we talk areas. But that does not mean that all the machines on the "other" side is sitting on the same bridge segment.
You could very well have a router with two ethernet interfaces, for example.

    [FWIW, Multinet tunnels a point-to-point DECnet link, essentially like a
DDCMP link, over UDP.   For that you really need to have a router at either
end to pass traffic for other machines on either LAN.]

Yep.