[HECnet] DECnet et al

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jul 17 19:09:24 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-17 19.55, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
If there is no router present (on ethernet) then an endnode will just try and send the datagram. It knows the destination decnet address and thus can compute the target mac address.

Right. Thinking a little more I realize that it will do this.
This would not be very useful in HECnet, since we have several areas, and not everything is connected to the bridge. So routers are definitely needed, and thus you need atleast one L2 router in your area in order to talk to machines in other areas which you do not have a direct connection to. Or else you'll isolate yourself to only talk to directly connected machines.

	Johnny