[HECnet] PDP Ignorance

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:42:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
On 15 Jul 2011, at 12:38, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

Mark, running a vt100 80 x 24 screen on a blackberry (not a Torch) is problematic.
OTOH 20 years ago I wouldn't have dreamt of being able to power down an XP1000 sitting on my couch and using a phone as a remote terminal!

Oh don't get me wrong, it's cool that you can do it and I have used it a few times. For basic terminal stuff its great. I have my HP Microserver set up to allow SSH   from external IPs via myy firewall so I can SSH there then Telnet into my SimH VAX from my phone :D

On the same count however, a lot of DEC text based apps like EVE and Notes (I think?) Use mimetic pad and F-key functions which are a struggle on phone-based clients.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson

Hello!
Mark can you provide a pointer to this HP Microserver?

And go ahead and roll on the floor laughing, but I've been tempted to
track down a PDP-11, when I first saw and actually wanted a PDP-8 to
work with. My father convinced me that doing so would be problematic
because the poor thing had only 8K of core based memory.

Is our friend behind the E11 subscribed here? He'll know what style of
wire wrapping based board I have here. It's designed for the PDP-11, I
think it might be the Q-Bus style one....
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com