[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:57:21 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM, MG <marcogb at xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 13-7-2011 13:05, Sampsa Laine wrote:

The RS/6000 is just a AIX / random Unix box, whereas   the AS/400 is WEIRD.

Personally speaking, I never cared much for AIX myself.   IBM also entered
the UNIX
market relatively late (compared to SGI, HP, DEC and so on).

As for the AS/400 platform, now that's an interesting operating system (I
usually
log onto RZKh.de for that) and the type of system that IBM traditionally
peddled.
(A bit like what VMS, RT-11, RSX, etc. were to DEC, later Compaq and HP
now.)

I wouldn't mind having an AS/400 either, it'd make a nice DB2 test
environment.
Especially those physically smaller systems, like the 9401-P03 with the
original
CISC processor (before "System i" and what-not, or whatever IBM calls it
today).
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231773@N02/4468965124/
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231773@N02/4468966604/
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231773@N02/4468967646/
(The above pictures are of/by the proprietor of IPv7.net, who's also a
'partaker'
in HECnet.)

  - MG

Hello!
I agree! I've met my share of these IBM boxes, and that one and two
others seemed interesting.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com