[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Jul 13 15:04:16 PDT 2011

On 7/12/2011 4:04 PM, Mark Benson wrote:

It wasn't until 95 with Microsoft including TCP/IP into the consumer OS did it really start to matter.
Yes I do remember the days when Windows 3.11 had Winsock to provide a separate TCP stack. We used it and SLIP to dial up to our ISP back then. We had to keep a Windows 3.1 box on the modem for quite a while until we worked out how to build SLIP dialup scripts for Windows 95.

Sometimes I swear I was born 10 years too late :(

When I first started working at PSU our PC lab was a bunch of IBM PS/2 machines connected to Token Ring running DOS and the TCP/IP shim stuff.   It was weird and a giant pain in the ass to say the least.

The Unix/DEC hardware was sooooooooooo much easier to manage. :-D

-brian