[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

hvlems at zonnet.nl hvlems at zonnet.nl
Wed Jul 13 14:39:39 PDT 2011

Ah, so that's your specification for an interesting system: weird with DECnet :-)
The AS/400 is a nice choice then . 48 bit architecture, was supposed to replace the S/38 (it's code compatible with it) and be a VAX killer at the same time.
Which obviously didn't work since every home has a VAX now as Johnny tells us repeatedly (or did I get something wrong ;-)
Anyway, I've configured the IP stack on one of them, 10 years ago and what I remember is this.
It follows the IBM way of doing things : nearly everything is menu driven. A system manager hardly ever types commands, he just fills in forms. The result ends up in a file which gets compiled or assembled with a bunch of others. AIX has something similar called SMIT (if my memry serves me well).
Well, I prefer to type my own commands and DCL scripts.
I'd like to get a small Unisys (n  e Burroughs) A4 though.
Hans
Verzonden vanaf mijn draadloze BlackBerry  -toestel