[HECnet] Towards the Mouth of Madness....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 12 22:49:52 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-12 23:11, Mark Benson wrote:
On 12 Jul 2011, at 21:48, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:

DECnet/AIX was a 3rd party effort IIRC
I haven't searched the internet yet but who knows what is available.
Perhaps the opensource decnet kit may be portable.

I know there's a DECNet kit for Linux out there somewhere. Not sure about anything else. Nothing crops up on   a quick Google search that isn't dated early 90s.

There are Linux nodes on HECnet.

As for other implementations I know of...
SunOS had one. Probably never ported to Solaris, though.
Symbolics had one for GENERA (Lisp machines).
Cisco can probably still sell you a DECnet capable router, if you talk to them.
MS-DOS as well as Windows can talk DECnet (I used to have a WinXP machine on HECnet - Josse (1.17), but that machine is in Sweden, and I'm in Switzerland now).

I'm sure there are other implementations as well.